SIZE OF VILLAGE Approximately 200 dwellings and 391 inhabitants are listed in the Register of Electors (1998)
SIZE OF PARISH Long and narrow (about 5 miles long and only a few hundred yards wide in many places) and approx. 2 square miles in area; a parish map is displayed in the playing field.
LISTED BUILDINGS The parish contains 15 listed buildings:- Black Robin Public House, Rectory Cottage, St Giles Church, Little Court, Kingstone Court, Ileden Farmhouse, Marley Farmhouse, Railway Cottage, Whitelocks, Whitelocks Farmhouse, Alley Cottage, Westwood Farmhouse, Barn, Stables and Granary at Westwood Farm.
ST. GILES CHURCH Largely rebuilt in the 14th. century but nave and chancel walls are 12th. century or possibly Saxon; pulpit Jacobean or possibly Elizabethan; replaced Norman font; King-post roof etc.
BLACK ROBIN PUB Built in 18th. or early 19th. century and named after a local highway man who ended his days on a gallows on Barham Downs.
THE BARN The village hall, ‘The Barn’, given to the village in 1931, supports a number of business, social and cultural activities, e.g. meetings of the Parish Council, Village Society, Wives Club, Model Engineering, Keep Fit etc.
KINGSTON BROOCH One of the artefacts discovered in a Saxon burial mound above Kingston in the 1770’s was the Kingston brooch, of ornate gold inlaid with garnets, blue glass and white shell, and now kept at Liverpool museum.
RIVER NAILBOURNE Every few years the Nailbourne river runs through the parish; ‘bourn’ is the name for an intermittantly running stream. Its source is in Lyminge and it eventually joins the Little Stour beyond Wickhambreaux.
COVET LANE Running along the southern boundary of the parish, Covet Lane was the highest scoring of 200 lanes surveyed in the Canterbury area for landscape beauty, historic interest and variety of flora.
ELHAM VALLEY RAILWAY Closed in 1947. This ran between Canterbury and Folkestone through the parish. The arched railway bridge remains in Covet Lane as well as traces of the railway embankment. During the second world war, a 250 ton 18″ military gun, called the ‘Boche Buster’ was hidden in neighbouring Bourne Park tunnel and was to be used in the event of an invasion.
TWINNING Kingston is one of 7 villages in the Elham Valley collectively twinned with the Vallee de la Course, south of Boulogne, through the Elham Valley Twinning Association.
PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY The parish has about 8 miles of footpaths and bridleways, and includes sections of the North Downs Way and Elham Valley Walk. A set of 5 circular-walk cards is available and a map showing PROWS is located in the playing field.
BUS SERVICES Bus services to/from Canterbury and Folkestone/Dover stop in the village (bus shelter and Black Robin Pub, or on the A2 near junction to Ileden); time tables are available from Canterbury bus station.
HENRY MOORE The world renowned sculptor, Henry Moore, lived in a house on Marley Lane (now, The Orchard) during 1935-1940. In neighbouring Bishopsbourne, the novelist Joseph Conrad lived at Oswalds for 6 years before his death in 1924.
The Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of 4th June 2012 were a great success and a series of photos were taken of the attendees (click on a photo to enlarge):